Thursday, August 27, 2009

Hostas and Flowers

Between my busy life and the five other people in my family that think they should be on the computer for hours at a time, I have managed to get to the hosta post. I have to say though that it was much better weeks ago. But I forgot that. Anyway, here it is slightly worse than it would have been.

It started with a wall, as most of you know...I removed funky green stuff which is really called Pachysandra. Everyone I know who has had dealings with this plant say its evil. Its evasive and hard to pull out. And I have to say that its just down right ugly.

We have been going to Wednesdays in the arboretum, which are random classes/get togethers in a arboretum. They had a night where they talked about hostas. Picture me sitting around a table with a handful of older ladies talking about hosta. Kinda funny isn't it. Moving on... The man teaching asks if anyone there was a collector. None of us had heard of being a collector of hosta. The one lady had three plants but she didn't know if that made her a collector. The man informed us that he had over 150 different varieties of hostas planted on his property. And to top that he know ever variety just by looking at the leaf of the plant. After the class I was inspired and went and bought two hostas of my own, a patriot and a silver bay.



I also planted a white bleeding heart, a black eyed susan, and a pink astilbe. Everything is a shade loving plant except of the black eyed susan, I'm not sure how its going to do there. It was a throw away plant I got for a dollar.

Everything else should grow fine, I planted in a loamy soil. Tada!!
...and ended with a flower bed.

No comments: