Monday, October 13, 2008

Squirrel Hunting

( Before reading you should know that there are pictures of dead animals in this post)
Last night we had a cook out in our backyard, hamburgers, cake, and maybe a little to much smoke. After we ate and we were just sitting around the fire Spencer said that he wanted to go kill some squirrels up on our hill. He didn't want to go be himself so he said he would take Samantha with him. He goes in to get the gun and Samantha was getting the orange hats ( safety first). They come out and set off up the hill. Samantha had grabbed some walkie-talkies so they could stay in touch with us back at the fire. All is well. After a while we hear a shot, we try the walkie...nothing. Several minutes later we hear another shot, we again try the walkie....nothing. Shortly after the second shot comes a third, again nothing. It then occurred to me that maybe Samantha had forgotten to set the walkies to the same channel before they left. I began scanning the channels.
"Hello...Hello."

I didn't get anything for awhile but as I repeated my hellos and channel four there they were. "Hello", it was Spencer.

"Hello, did you get anything?"

"Yes"

"What?"

"Two gray squirrels."

"I heard three shots" Nobody answered. So I tried another hello.

" I got two more." Spencer again.

" What?"

"I got two more squirrels." He was up to four.

"But I only heard three shots."

"What?" He was coming through really fuzzy.

"I only heard three shots." I spoke louder.

" I...here...squirr..." It was too fuzzy to make out.

"What? Your really fuzzy I can't hear you."

"....talk...you when...get down...we're coming...wn." I got the point. A few seconds later He said

"I love you" That was a little odd coming from Spencer but ok.

We waited, they had gone up to the pine patch so it wouldn't take long to get down. And we waited and waited and they hadn't come down yet. I thought that maybe they took the long way down so it would take longer, so we continued waiting. Finally they come out of the woods and joined us at the fire.
"Where are the squirrels?" Samantha holds up one of the orange hats.

"There aren't four gray squirrels in there." Both Spencer and Samantha look puzzled.

We got a little red squirrel, we tried to call you but you didn't answer."

"We called you and you weren't on the channel so I switched to channel four and you were there. I was talking to you."

"No you weren't."
Apparently they were still on channel five trying to get a hold of us, I wasn't talking to Spencer at all it was someone else, and they only got one red squirrel. So some strange man loves me and is eating my squirrel. Who would have know.
( This was Spencer first squirrel )

3 comments:

Miss Brenda said...

I am jealous of your fall leaves and sunshine.

Shep said...

That is so cool. Too bad i'm stuck in foster care and don't have a hill or the knowladge to shoot anything.

Steph said...

Seth! That is not cool! It's sad!

Shame on Spencer.